Utah ~ AHGP
Part of the American History & Genealogy Project


Search Our Site

Eureka, Richfield, Price, Winter Quarters Burial Services

Burial Services at Eureka

The funeral services over the remains of Al E. Watson, one of the victims of the recent mine explosion at Scofield will be conducted from the Odd Fellows' hall tomorrow (Sunday) afternoon at 1 o'clock under the auspices of Tintic Lodge No. 12, I. O. O. F. of which the deceased was a member. The deceased is a brother of Superintendent Joe Watson of the Eureka Hill mine, and Eph. Watson, Justice of the Peace, and was a resident of this place about nine months ago. The body will be interred at the city cemetery. Al. E. Watson was 33 years of age at the time of his death, and leaves a wife and three small children. Joe Watson returned last evening from Scofield, where he went to care for his brother's wife and family, and have the remains sent to Eureka. Mr. Watson said that everything possible was being done by the mining company, and also by the outside people who were at Scofield. The rescue was still going on when he left the grief-stricken coal camp; Mr. Watson was very enthusiastic in praise of many people who, ever since the first, have continued the awful work of getting the bodies out of the mine. Mr. Watson says that Superintendent G. W. Sharp is especially deserving the praise for his faithful labor. Mr. Sharp has, he said, scarcely taken time to eat or sleep while the rescue work progressed, and did everything in his power to console and care for the unfortunate families who are left without sustenance by the awful calamity.

Burial Services At Richfield

The funeral services and interment of Richfield's four victims of the Scofield catastrophe were held here this afternoon. The tabernacle was nearly filled by the sorrowing crowd of relatives and friends of the deceased and their families. The caskets were covered with many floral decorations, among them being a large cross of natural flowers on each. Appropriate consoling remarks were made by President Seegmiller, H. N. Hayes, J. S. Home, W. H. Clark and Simon Christensen. The funeral procession which formed afterwards was over four blocks long in carriages alone. The bereaved families have been remembered in a substantial way also. Subscription papers were circulated yesterday and over $100 raised for the assistance which they need. Nearly $20 was also contributed to the widow of Joseph City's victim, V. R. Miller. The body and face of Mr. Muir was not crushed in any way. The face of one of his sons, and of his son-in-law, Mr. Bjornson, showed a few bruises, while the other son was considerably bruised, and his casket was not opened. They were all no doubtedly killed by the concussion of the explosion, or by being hurled against the walls of the mine. The blow is a severe and trying one to the family, especially to Mrs. Muir, but friends are doing all that is possible to comfort and aid her. The young widow was a bride of only three months. The body of V. R. Miller of Joseph was sent home yesterday and services will be held today. Richfield, at the time of the disaster, had other of her citizens employed at the mines, but fortunately were working in the timber.

Burial Services at Price

A large number of Price people went to Spring Glen today to attend the last sad rites to be paid to the remains of the three sons of William Miller, who were victims of the Scofield disaster. Two of them were heads of families, leaving several small children to be cared for by mothers. The Price subscription list is still being augmented by her generous citizens. On Tuesday next week, a benefit will be given by local talent at the Town hall, the proceeds of which will be added to the list.

Burial, Services at Winter Quarters

The Latter-Day Saints meeting house at Winter Quarters where the bodies were laid after being brought out of the mines until the room was no longer adequate to shelter the growing list, had been thorough' cleaned on Saturday, and this morning the Sunday School met there as usual. But what a change there in less than a week.

Last Sunday the room was filled with happy children and contented teachers. Today there was a great falling off in attendance and all was sadness. The parents, worn out with their exertions, could not, in many cases, get the little ones ready for the service. And those who came shed tears when they saw the new secretary in the place of Lewis Leyshon, the secretary, who perished in the mine on Tuesday. They missed the voice of their choir leader, Richard T. Evans, the sweet singer in Israe', another of the victims. There were other things that reminded them all too strongly of the tragedy. Throughout the week, since the accident, Andrew Hood, that sturdy, brave Scot, had been a familiar figure at the tunnels, as he went in with the rescuing parties and came out with bodies of his late comrades. Today he occupied his old place as Superintendent. The services were brief. Apostle Teasdale was the first speaker, and after a consoling address, in which he dwelt upon the lesson taught by partaking the Sacrament and invoking a blessing upon the children, he introduced Apostle Heber J. Grant. It had always been a pleasure, to meet with the Sabbath schools, and he looked back with extreme pleasure upon his own Sunday school days. The necessity of keeping the commandments was referred to, and the influence of the teachers upon the children brought out. To illustrate this, he related the circumstance of a Sunday school teacher who went with an excursion to Saltair. He met a number of old companions, and while at the table with them was urged to take a glass of beer. He had always kept the word of wisdom but thought that when in Rome he might do as the Romans did and was about to drink it, when he saw a little girl, one of his Sunday school class, looking at him. He pushed the glass away, and that night the little girl said she saw the men offer her teacher a glass of beer, but she knew he would not take it, and was not surprised when he pushed it away from him. If that man would have drunk the beer, the confidence of that girl in him would have been destroyed forever. This was a time that called for the love of all, and in closing he recited "Abou Ben Adhem," which he said illustrated what loving kindness would do. Apostle Reed Smoot followed and spoke of the good influence exerted by the Sunday schools, and which followed a man through his life. He urged the children to be regular in attendance. All the commandments of the Lord must be kept. He hoped that the spirit of the Lord would be poured out in great abundance upon all the afflicted ones, and those who had been spared should not forget the Lord and His mercy. In the great calamity that had come over them he prayed that by prayer and humility they might see the hand of the Lord in it. If they went to the Lord in that spirit, it would be given to them to see and to know. Apostle Teasdale said the Lord was displeased with none except those who refused to acknowledge His hand in all things. It had been prophesied that calamities would come in the last days and would commence in His own house. He referred feelingly to those who had been called away, but the Lord wanted them, they had finished their work here. Superintendent Andrew Hood explained the comparatively small attendance and said that the school had earnest and devoted teachers. After singing, the benediction was pronounced by Apostle Smoot.


Source: History of the Scofield Mine Disaster, by J. W. Dilley, The Skelton Pub. Co., Provo, Utah, 1900.

Editors Note: The I.. O. O. F. were very active in raising money for the benefit of the widows and children along with the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. This information is included for historical value, it does not mean the people of this project support these institutions.


Back to AHGP

Copyright August @2011 - 2018 AHGP The American History and Genealogy Project.
Enjoy the work of our webmasters, provide a link, do not copy their work

This web page was last updated.